On 11/24/2016 06:09 AM, CVAlkan wrote:
Perhaps slightly off-topic, but I'd love to hear what other regular visitors
to this forum think:

Paper Sizes and printing in LibreOffice is such a puzzle to me when I do
anything other than single-sided straight documents (which I don't do often)
that my regular practice is to always export to pdf (which has worked very
well for some time now) and print from the Acrobat Reader (which still works
in Linux in spite of what you hear). As usual, I learned some more from
Brian Barker's reply.

Are you having issues with double-sided printing? I had problems with an Epson Workforce printer that no one could figure out. Later, when the next version[s] of Ubuntu came out, the problem was fixed. The Epson drivers did not "play well" with that older version of Linux. Around that same time Linux Mint would not see my networked printers - wireless or wired. Since the Ubuntu version I was running on my main desktop saw those printers.

That type of issues with LO not able to get the printer to duplex stumped everyone.

Whenever I open up the forum and see Brian's name, I immediately go to such
postings first, as his explanations are almost always clear and informative,
and often cover techniques not mentioned at all in Help (poor) or the
documentation (well done, but incomplete or at least not-comprehensive).

So my question is: who all thinks that Brian should gather up all his past
postings and edit them into a collection of "LibreOffice Tips and Tricks"
organized by subject - perhaps even limited to just Writer and/or Calc (or
two separate docs). I imagine many folks would pay a reasonable fee for such
a book (this would not be competition for Bruce Byfield's "Designing with
LibreOffice" book, but complementary).

Any thoughts, anyone?
Yes

There is always a need for better and better help documentation. The key is getting and keeping the help instructions in a language that the basic, new, non-technical, users can understand. I been working with computers since before the first PC desktops came out. I saw all of the changes that made the computers go from refrigerator size to pocket sized.

Sometimes I cannot understand the help instructions I read here. Now that I survived a 3rd small stroke, it is getting even harder.

For me I do not use even a tenth of what Writer does, and use even less for Calc. Impress and Base are not used, or very rarely.

So. . . . having the help files, like the books, would be a good idea to have them separated by LO module. We have a "getting started guide[s]" and then books dedicated to one module.

Having a FAQ help book based on what worked here, would be great. A lot of work, but great.