Thanks, Jomali.

I must admit I was more interested in investigating the document in question
than in trying to reproduce the problem.  My mistake.

It's good to know you couldn't reproduce it.  I think I'm just going to say
that this is a one-off, and I don't know how it happened.  There were so
many funny things about this document, not least that it existed about a
page and a half past the end of the document.  I'll rephrase that!  About a
page and a half past the last text.  And this part of the document clearly
had a variety of settings, as the values when I called up format paragraph
were all empty, which usually happens when you have different fonts,
different varieties of the font (regular, bold, etc) and different sizes.

But again, thanks a lot for trying.