Hi, Regina,
On 26/10/16 19:24, Regina Henschel wrote:
Hi,

ajebay schrieb:
Hi Bruce,
Defined the ranges as before and Edit shows Print Range, User defined
as:-

$A$1:$C$165,$I$1:$I$165,$K$1:$K$165

Which is what I want.  My problem is getting the range on to paper
without big spaces because I need to be able to read across on a line.
Hope that is clear.

Each print range is printed on its own page and uses further pages, if
the content of the range does not fit on one page. So you will get first
some pages for $A$1:$C$165, after them some pages for $I$1:$I$165 and
last some pages for $K$1:$K$165.

If you want to show columns A,B,C,I,K together, you need to add a sheet
with a copy of this columns being adjacent. If you use references the
sheet will update, if you alter the original data. You will have
in A1 =Orig.A1, in B1 =Orig.B1, in C1 =Orig.C1, in D1 =Orig.I1, and in
E1 =Orig.K1. Of cause you need your own sheet name instead of "Orig".

Then you do not define your print range on the original data but on the
copy, which would give you the one print range $A$1:$E$165.

Many thanks. I had no idea that each print range was printed on it's own page. The wiki/help pages should really be edited to make that clear. It would have saved me a good deal of time.

I found that hiding the unwanted columns (which I tried first) did not solve the problem either. I understand your suggestion; it does have the benefit of being more "wysiwyg" and safer. Will try next time. Meanwhile I had to use Pritt stick to assemble 3 x 5 sheets so I could read them as I needed.

Sometimes you have to print one column which is small but very long and
you want to print all of it on one paper sheet. In such cases I use a
trick. I define a page size, which is as wide as the column. And in the
print dialog, I use the dialog page "Page Layout" to put several of this
small "pages" together on one paper sheet. Most printers need the
setting "Use only paper size from printer preferences" in such case and
you have to set the actual paper size in the printer settings.

Fortunately not had this problem but many thanks for the tip.
Many thanks again for your reply.
Regards,
Budge

Kind regards