Before doing this, I would do a dd copy to some other device.

Looks like you might want to use FSCK (File System Check)

This guys problem seams similar to yours.

"My external ext3 USB drive was mounted while my system crashed while I was messing around with a LiveCD. (Copying large files into your live user's home folder while booted from a LiveCD is a bad idea by the way. ).

Anyway, how can I run a filesystem check on the disk? I tried "sudo tune2fs -c 1 /dev/sdc1" on the USB drive and mounted and unmounted it with no success. Also, am I supposed to use e2fsck or fsck and do I need to boot into single user mode? The dire warnings of possible file system corruption make me rather nervous."

..............End Quote

How do I fsck an external USB drive? See https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1198673

Hope this helps.