I'm no artist myself but I do find it interesting. I watch a girl on Twitch
who uses GIMP.. mostly for coloring but I think she does drawing as well (
https://www.twitch.tv/jasmocolors/profile). In terms of converting drawings
to digital I've seen a few videos on that. This one on InkScape (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnXQPwHEH0U) and this other one using
InkScape as well (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DVlmaG-91o)

If your goal is convertinga drawing into a diagram that should be pretty
simple to scan and convert based on what I've seen in those videos. Throw
some of Jasomo's coloring techniques on top of it (
https://www.youtube.com/user/jasmosteele) and I believe you can do a lot
with digital drawing. that said it does require things like artistic skill,
a drawing tablet, a scanner etc.

--
Wolfkin
http://about.me/wolfkin