On 04/29/2016 05:19 AM, Andreas Säger wrote:
Am 29.04.2016 um 03:30 schrieb James Knott:
On 04/28/2016 06:02 PM, Tim---Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:
I chose LibreOffice over all of the forks out there.
Ummm...  LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice.

Your initial question was if there is more than a viewer for Android and
now you come up with issues of taste and branding.

It is the decision of those who actually do the work.
They may find the Apache license more attractive.
They may be familiar with the old code base but not with the forks.
The "stability" (lack of development) could be attractive too.

I started using OpenOffice.org before it had the ability to save .doc files. I tried Oxygen Office and a few others over the years. When LibreOffice came out in its first version, I switched and never looked back. When Apache's version came out I did not switch.

Yes, my original question was about needing a package that has the editing ability for ODF, but I have the LibreOffice viewer and wanted to use an Android version of LibreOffice that does the editing. For whatever reasons, I come to prefer LibreOffice's "brand", from the reasons for creating this fork to the "community" developed around this fork.

I did download the suggested Android app and will look into using it. If you do not have an external keyboard, you cannot use "landscape orientation" and see what you are typing at the same time - or at least for my tablet's display resolution.

Note - in my honest opinion[s]:
Someday, hopefully soon, our volunteer developers will produce an Android app that will create and edit ODF and MSO file formats. Also, one day those users of iOS devices will have a LO version to use as well. For me, I like the idea that I could use the same "brand" of an office suite for every device that I would use. Right now I use Linux and Windows 10 for desktops/laptops, and Android for a tablet and a phone. Right now, MSO is available for my laptops/desktops and my Android tablets. There are Windows phones and Windows tablets, and MS wants to easily run their MSO on all platforms. It seems that they are working on an easier way to run MS packages on Linux than using Wine. I keep seeing references to this. SO, I really like to see LibreOffice on all the common platforms - Linux, Windows, Mac OSX, and one day Android and iOS.

If the Linux "hating" Microsoft is working with Linux developers to make it easier to use MS packages on Linux, then maybe they realize that there are a lot of users out there who prefer Linux - and maybe LibreOffice - over MS's OS and packages. If MS is actively looking towards the Linux user base to make MSO, and other Windows packages, usable on Linux so MS could try to dominate the one market they have not been able to do so.

Right now, LibreOffice is the dominate [default] office package for most Linux distros. I really hope it could be dominate in the Android market as well - when LO has has its own editor ready.