       Sorry; sounds as if you're 'stuck between a rock & a hard place"

       May be the hieroglyphic nature which is confusing the machine ???

From: Thomas Blasejewicz <nyuwa@hb.tp1.jp>
Date: Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 9:20 PM
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] file format problem?
To: users@global.libreoffice.org

On 2016/04/07 0:16, anne-ology wrote:

    [yet another program?]

SpiderOak is not a program but a cloud storage service like Dropbox.
What I save on one computer will be synchronized (AND older versions
archived) with my other computers.

    [suggestion: open LO - then attempt to open saved document, allowing it
to translate if necessary;
        hopefully, your file will re-appear.]

That did not help.
I opened the .docx file with LO in the first place, upon saving accepted
the proposed (by LO) .docx format.

The file contained originally about 4300 Japanese characters.
Even though there was nothing on my screen beyond the first 1/3 of that
file, its size did not change.
When I deleted the second 2/3 of the original file, the original size of
470 kb shrank to 130 kb.
After I re-typed all the lost work and saved that first as .ODT and then
later as .docx, file size was 23 and 16 kb respectively.

    [these are MsFt not LO documents.]

After the trouble occurred, I copied TEXT ONLY into Writer, finished work
there AND THEN saved first as .odt and then as .docx (same file)

Necessity for Word format: translation agencies send me those Word file ->
expect them to be "overwritten" ->
AND expect Word files back. Which will then be sold to the clients who
ordered the translations. (translation not of file formats, but of text:
manuals, books, letters etc.)
If I start mumbling "I use only odt format ...", they will probably stop
sending me work. Then I will starve to death ...