Hi :)
That sounds like a perfect combination :)  I think you already do give back
to the community by helping solve problems raised in this mailing list.  So
don't worry about that angle!  However i'm sure the Documentation Team
would be glad to benefit from you too :)

The first step is to send an email to their mailing list;
Documentation@Global.LibreOffice.org
to say a little about yourself or/and your reason for joining in with work
on documentation.  Your 2nd paragraph is perfect for that :)  Some people
send in a full CV but really just a brief introduction is plenty.

It is a good idea to state that you would like a login for the ODFauthors
website;
http://www.odfauthors.org/libreoffice/english/
because the Documentation Team is so tiny and busy that it sometimes takes
them a while to realise they need to do a few things to set-up for you.

After sending a first email to them it's probably a good plan to start
reading some of their "First steps with the Documentation team";
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Development

It usually takes them a fair while to respond so it's good to have
something constructive to do to avoid getting too frustrated with them.
You may find the guide to help you write, edit, proof-read or review the
guides raises some questions which might be a good way of "bumping" your
first post to them.

Btw with your back-ground in programming you might enjoy joining the QA
Team too, or instead.  QA is not much to do with actually programming but
your experience with programming might be really useful in triaging and
de-geekifying some of the responses/requests from the devs.

Each different team has it's own personality(/ies) which is often quite a
bit different from what anyone might expect.  It's sometimes good to try a
few different teams out before settling down with one.

Many thanks, good luck and regards from
Tom :)