In Linux I use the quite extensible "Onboard" screen keyboard, and I would
guess that there must be something similar for Windows.

It's actual intent is so that when you have input methods set up to permit
your keyboard to act as if they were typing different scripts (e.g. Thai,
Hebrew, whatever), the display works like the keyboard on a phone or tablet
or simply as a cheat chart to show where the keys for the selected
script/language are located.

Like the popup keyboards on tablets, "long presses" (with a mouse) will show
various alternates, such as vowels with various accents and so forth.

But Onboard, being configurable, lets you define a keyboard containing
whatever you feel like putting on it. Doing this requires some work, of
course, but compared to what you are doing is probably no worse.

IPA, by the way, is a stock keyboard for many of the screen keyboard
utilities.

I hope this gives you some avenues to explore.

-Frank