For those who may have missed it, I would like to recommend a new book by
Bruce Byfield called "Designing with LibreOffice." I have absolutely no
connection whatever to this author or book, by the way.

As with the normal LibreOffice manuals, the book can be purchased as a
paperback or downloaded free as a pdf or odt document (with an optional
contribution, of course) at
http://designingwithlibreoffice.com/download-buy/

Bruce approaches LibreOffice not from the standpoint of menu functions and
such, as the manuals do and should do, but as a document design and creation
tutorial. This approach serves to show the purpose of LO's features and how
to use them effectively. There are numerous tips throughout the book that
are obviously the result of much use of the product's components. His
discussion of styles, their importance, and their use is as good as any I've
run across.

This results-driven approach is also valuable because the author not only
isn't shy about suggesting which features of LO are best avoided for one
reason or another, but offers alternatives to achieving the desired
objectives in such cases.

The best compliment I can give the book is to say that I learned quite a bit
about some of the capabilities of Writer and Calc that I wasn't aware of at
all, and ended up with a much better understanding of how to take greater
advantage of features I've been using for years.

The book is also featured on Jean Hollis Weber's site
http://www.taming-libreoffice.com/2016/03/new-book-designing-with-libreoffice/
since she appears to be one of the editors/reviewers.