At 13:18 24/02/2016 -0500, Charles Mwrote:
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop (about 7 years old) running Windows 7. It runs fine and I have no issues with it. However, when I type in text in a blank document in either Libre Writer or Word 2003 I'll complete a sentence or so and then suddenly the cursor and the last few characters I typed jumps somewhere else in the plain text document. I'm not hitting (intentionally) any key to make it do that ­ it just jumps around the document at will. It never does that on the desktop in Libre or Word suggesting it may be a Toshiba or laptop phenomena. Has anyone ever encountered this and if so how did you fix it?

Yes, I've certainly seen this happen. You may not believe this, but when you type you are probably allowing some part of your anatomy - probably your thumb - occasionally to graze across the laptop's trackpad. A touch, of course, instantly moves the cursor to some random position, and your typing continues there instead of where you meant it to be. The irony is that if you try to watch yourself doing it, you will be concentrating on the trackpad and you won't touch it. You will need to get someone else to watch your thumb as you concentrate on the keyboard or screen whilst typing in order to confirm what is happening.

The solution is very simple: you can adjust the properties of the trackpad. The settings will be accessible from the Windows Control Panel - probably as an extra tab in the Mouse section. You will almost certainly find that you can make the trackpad less sensitive. In addition, you may be able to set the trackpad to be automatically totally insensitive whilst you are typing. You mat want to adjust either or both: experiment with the settings until you achieve what you need.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker