Hi Amichai

Amichai Rotman wrote
As I mentioned, none of these steps worked. It is *very* important for me
to make it work!

   - Any tips?
   - Maybe tweaking some configuration options?
   - Telling her Editor to save the fie in a different format?

I wish I could switch her Editor to LibreOffice too, but I get the feeling
she's not that open minded as my mom. It took her to days to tell me which
version of Microsoft Office she uses...

Microsoft Office and LibreOffice (or any Open Document based Office) will
never be 100% compatible. It is not in Microsoft's interest that they are
compatible.

That said, you are probably better off using Office 2003 (.doc) format. It
has been around for a longer time (so many problems have been figured out)
and it is no longer changing. On the contrary there is no Office 2013
format. It is just another iteration of the XML version that Microsoft has
been tweaking since Office 2007 making it slightly incompatible even with
the previous MS Office releases so that the user is forced to keep buying
the newest version.

If there are any features in the document that are not compatible with .doc
then your only options (excluding giving in to Microsoft) are to ask the
Editor to install LibreOffice alongside with Microsoft Office or send the
editor the Portable version of LibreOffice (maybe just the link)
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/portable-versions/
and in that case you could stick with ODF files which is definitely your
best option.

The idea is that the Editor will still be using MS Office as default but can
open ODF files.

Hope this helps,
Pedro