Hello Virgil,

Closing this thread once and for all by reacting to something completely different....

Le 21.01.2016 16:11, Virgil Arrington a écrit :
On 01/21/2016 09:12 AM, V Stuart Foote wrote:
Of course even from these users we (the LibreOffice project) really need folks to install the developmental and pre-releases, in parallel of course [1], both to see emerging features (or regressions) but more importantly to provide feed back to the design, development and QA process. That is an aspect of care and feeding a FOSS project that users should not abdicate. LibreOffice is a great project, please participate.

a big +1. This is an often overlooked aspect of how we should work as a community.

At the risk of sounding like a whiner, I recently tried to participate
by reporting a bug in LO's outline numbering system (bug 96733). The
triage volunteer didn't think much of my bug report and first offered
a solution. When I suggested that the proffered solution didn't work,
he responded that I shouldn't confuse my desires with what is correct
(both of which are accomplished with LaTeX). As a result, for certain
outlining work, I'm forced to use LaTeX when I would prefer to use LO,
which unfortunately doesn't work either correctly or as desired. When
attempts to participate are rebuffed, it doesn't encourage further
participation.

Again, I apologize for my whining. I realize not everyone shares my priorities.

No need to apologize but perhaps to discern what may have happened there. As an avid Emacs Org-Mode user, I think I can sympathize with your problem. What I read from this issue is that some of the people who reacted to it did not feel your case was strong and could not even be called a bug. My opinion (again, someone who does not use LibreOffice as an outliner): 1. Your suggestion may make mathematical sense but it will confuse 99% of users out there. People are used to numbering conventions in documents that may not be the same one as academic papers or numbering logic. It's a broad perception, not a statement on your mathematics. If we were to "fix" the numbering, we would get 10 bug reports tomorrow yelling that we're idiots and should revert back to what everybody else uses. 2. Are you sure you're not missing out on text editors' outlining capabilities compared to LibreOffice (or any other office suite)? LibreOffice is good for taking notes of course, but perhaps not to outline different levels of notes imho.

Best,

Charles.