At 08:37 01/12/2015 -0700, Junper Noname wrote:
Where should I post a suggestion that would improve LibreOffice?

You can suggest enhancements at the web site; start at https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/feedback/ . But it is very sensible to discuss ideas here first - as you have done - since you may find both that something of what you need already exists and that others can contribute to your suggested improvements.

This is about tables in Writer. I went about to create a calendar out of a table to mark the holidays in December when I noticed how difficult it was to format the size of table and cells. I feel that not being able to set width of all cells to an exact number is not good.

You can do this.

o If you create an empty table that fills the text width between page margins, the width of all cells will be equal.

o Providing Alignment (on the Table tab of the Table Format dialogue) is not set to Automatic (which you can change after the table is created), you can tick "Adjust columns proportionally" on the Columns tab. If you then use the "Column width" boxes on that tab to change widths, they will all change in step.

o Select relevant columns of your table and go to right-click | Column > | Space Equally.

o Select relevant columns of your table and go to Table | Autofit > | Distribute Columns Evenly.

These last two techniques can be used either for all columns or for some columns only.

What I had to do is figure out initial width that would fit my needs, multiply by column count, set the table to that calculated width and finally space out column width evenly. It would make a lot of sense for the computer to make the calculations and adjust both cell and table width.

Which of the above techniques did you miss? See "column widths in tables" in the help text. All of this is also explained in Chapter 9 of the Writer Guide - also available from the web site.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker