Date sent:              Fri, 27 Nov 2015 12:31:39 +0000
To:                     users@global.libreoffice.org
From:                   Brian Barker <b.m.barker@btinternet.com>
Subject:                Re: [libreoffice-users] How to return cell address/reference
        instead of function result with 2d operations?

At 22:07 27/11/2015 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
On 2015-11-25 17:26, Edwar Cifuentes wrote:
When using functions like MAX on a 2d range how can I get the
cell's address/reference returned instead of the result value?
e.g. if I have this table starting at A1...
1    2    3
4    5    6
How can I get ... C2 Instead of ... 6

I know I could something containing MATCH if it were just a
single row or column but here I have a table spanning several
rows and columns and there seems to be no equivalent of MATCH
for these situations.

The following will find the address of the Max value. If there
are duplicate values it shows the last location.
=ADDRESS(MAX((A1:C2=MAX(A1:C2))*ROW(A1:C2)),MAX((A1:C2=MAX(A1:C2))*COLUMN(A1:C2)),4)
This is an array function and you need to use Ctrl-Shift-Enter
instead of Enter.

Hey, this works!

Sadly, I don't think it does. If the largest value happens to be
duplicated in different rows and columns, the formula generates the
address of neither but instead that of the intersection of that row
and that column. Try changing either B1 or A2 to 7: for such
separate changes the formula works. But now change both B1 and A2
to 7: the formula generates neither B1 nor A2 but B2 - which is not
either of the cells containing the equal largest values.
[...]

In my testing, I didn't see that, it appears to result with the last
one highest values.

So you cannot have tested with the particular rogue case I
identified, then: identical largest values in both different rows and
different columns? The problem will show up, of course, only if the
intersection of the relevant row and column - the incorrect result -
doesn't happen to be one of the cells containing those identical
largest values.

You are correct, I had generally had the highest value in C2, and then
duplicated it in other cells, and it kept giving me c2, but when c2 has a lower
value but c1 did, it did still give c2. I've only seen that the conditional
formatting with the condition to equal max(a1:c2) highlights all the matching
cells. Just don't know if there is a further method needed to get the cell
address or just highlighting the cell.

Brian Barker

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes@kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins
  G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer
  http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC@HOME CREDITS
ROSETTA     37271340.284882   |   SETI        68395213.026815
ABC         16613838.513356   |   EINSTEIN    79440881.457695