On 27 Nov 2015 at 3:56, Edwar Cifuentes wrote:

Subject:                Re: [libreoffice-users] How to return cell address/reference
instead
        of function result with 2d operations?
To:                     users@global.libreoffice.org
From:                   Edwar Cifuentes <edwarcifuentes@gmail.com>
Copies to:              TomW <tomwebb@fairpoint.net>
Date sent:              Fri, 27 Nov 2015 03:56:58 -0500

Hey, this works! I need to analiyse slowly and thoroughly but there's a
part I can't get into my head right from the start:
A1:C2=MAX(A1:C2)  <- what's that equal sign doing there? what does this
part mean?

I agree that it works, but I also don't understand exactly how it is working.
Since it is an array function, it must be going thru the array of cells, but what
exactly it is doing, I don't know??

Did also, change my formula to a single cell formula, but it is very long, and
doesn't handle correctly if there are two o r more cells with the high value.

=IF(IFNA(MATCH(MAX($A$1:$C$2),A1:A2,0),"")<>"","A","")&IF(IFNA(MATC
H(MAX($A$1:$C$2),B1:B2,0),"")<>"","B","")&IF(IFNA(MATCH(MAX($A$1:$C
$2),C1:C2,0),"")<>"","C","")&MAX(IFNA(MATCH(MAX($A$1:$C$2),A1:A2,0),
0),IFNA(MATCH(MAX($A$1:$C$2),B1:B2,0),0),IFNA(MATCH(MAX($A$1:$C
$2),C1:C2,0),0))

Putting the MAX($A$1:$C$2) in a cell would make it a lot shorter since it is
used a lot.

I have only since your original message, and then this reply. Did see the
other solution as well.

Thanks Tom

On the archive I saw someone else gave another working solution but I
didn't get his replies on my inbox. Why? Are you getting my replies?