[…]

Besides, if I failed to pull off a
simple install of LO on a virgin-system machine,

It was not a virgin system, because OEM images are full of "suggested"
softwares…

what chance would I have with Linux?

Many more, since it installs flawless and brings LO along with the system,
and also keeps it updated like every other software distributed with it
(that's why Linux Distributions are called so ;).

[…]

As said, if the fault is truly in all the many downloads of yesterday,
then transporting by external drive one or more of the 21
earlier-edition installers still available on this Curtains 7 machine
should work. However, I suspect that some negative synergy twixt LO
and Vista has reared its ugly head here.

As written, more than a Vista & LO issue (which can happen anyway) I tend
to believe to some LO & some other vendor's bundled stuff issue.

Yes indeed. I just checked the mirrors you mentioned. I clicked on each of
them, and each of them worked, and worked well.
Maybe there's an issue with the browser? At least today, right now, these
mirrors are fully working.

Or, indeed, maybe also some malware or virus is corrupting images
downloaded.
Did you try MD5 checksum? And what about downloading via Torrent?

By the way, just for curiosity, what was the error returned by the
installer?
---
Gabriele Ponzo