Hello James,

Le 12.10.2015 15:25, James E. Lang a écrit :
This tread has veered sharply off course from the original post thus
my change of the Subject.

If AOO Issued security and stability updates in a timely manner and if
they issued a battle tested version of LO every couple of years or so,
it could serve as a LTS outlet for the bleeding edge LO. This would
reunify the Open Office community, solve the branding issue, and
provide a valid purpose for both organizations.

Sadly the essential first premise of that statement has not been true.

Just a thought ....

I've been writing this several times. For *anyone* to deliver a LTS of any software, there needs to be a business model generating revenue on the LTS version. By which I mean, the one releasing the LTS has to generate money directly on the LTS. It does not mean having a LTS is a good or bad idea; it just means that there needs to be several (lots of, in fact) business cases.

In the case of AOO and LibreOffice -I can safely write about AOO in this particular instance- the question would be to know whether any direct contributor has an incentive (i.e. paying customers) to release such a LTS version? In the specific case of LibreOffice, I believe versions and upgrades are offered to paying customers by some of the companies employing certified developers. I am not so sure about what's going on with AOO. The way you framed your hypothesis, if I got your point right, is that the ASF would let the AOO project make a decision about releasing AOO as a LTS, implying that the ASF would offer professional support. I think it goes against their policies so it may be up to one of their sponsors to offer such services. The trouble is in this instance, they don't seem to have much developers and even less sponsors these days.

Best,

Charles.