hello,

I spent nearly 30 years with IBM, looking after mainframe customers as a systems engineer. I was around at the time when Bill G. convinced IBM to go his way with regard to PCs. I still don't quite understand WHY our people let themselves get convinced - I suppose it was mostly a matter of Bill being an excellent salesman and not too many technically minded people around on the side of Big Blue. Another sad fact is that IBM did turn its back on StarOffice, when looking for something to compete with M$ Office. In any case - this is history! On the other hand, somehow it looks to me as if M$ is in a state similar to the one IBM was in around the mid
90's...

I run two computers, mainly for the administration of a traditional Austrian windband. - a Lenovo 4-Core system, running Debian 8, MySQL 5.5, PHP, Apache2, Owncloud, Libreoffice, Gimp ... it acts as a kind of server and backup for the Internet-based server of the band as well as of my Laptop - a Sony Laptop (2-core). I use dual boot, but 99 p.c. I boot to Mint 18.1 with KDE. It has all the necessary stuff for a desktop PC on it, including kdeconnect, used for sharing and backup with my Android phone (Xperia Z). On the laptop the second operating system (Windows 7) is only used for two things: - a flat bed scanner HP Scanjet G2710 (which is not supported well enough under Debian) and - my online banking system (ELBA) which is only supported under Windows. It has a lot more function than
    the version used through the browser and it is also more secure...

Actually I think that there has to be better support for "mission-critical", administrative software to REALLY
make Linux viable for "the man/woman of the road"....

In any case, I have used Linux for some 15 years now and wouldn't DREAM of ever switching to either Apple
or - least of all - M$.

Regards from a very hot Salzburg/Austria
H. Stoellinger