The big discussion of Linux over the past 24+ hours has me wondering: What operating environment(s)
do other members of this list use at home and at work? What factors influence the choice?
To set the tone, here are my answers:
• I am retired so "at work" is not applicable
• At home we have a desktop dual boot Windows XP (and Ubuntu Linux) computer, a laptop dual boot
Kubuntu Linux (and pre-installed Windows Vista) computer and several other laptop, desktop, and
dedicated server (Ubuntu Linux based) computers. I also have Android Lollipop, Android Kit Kat, and
Android Jelly Bean tablets and phones. I have nothing from Apple.
• Windows XP is used primarily for single player gaming and e-Sword Bible software though it also
is used to run LO, FireFox and Pegasus Mail (proprietary though free of cost).
• Kubuntu Linux is my general purpose "go to" environment. My first Linux system used what I
believe was the penultimate marketed version from SuSE before the first release of Open SuSE. I
liked the flexibility that was inherent in the KDE desktop environment and found the UI to be quite
similar to that of Windows at the time. I have briefly tried Gnome and Unity desktop environments
but KDE is my personal first choice.
• If I had a tablet computer that I thought could support my Linux usage it, too, would run Kubuntu
Linux, LO, etc.
• Apple equipment is too expensive for me and from what I've heard about the company's software
policies, they are too restrictive to suit me.
• Dual boot capabilities are seldom used to deviate from the above information.
• The BSODs on Windows influenced my initial adoption of Linux.
To unsubscribe e-mail to: email@example.com
Posting guidelines + more: http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Netiquette
List archive: http://listarchives.libreoffice.org/global/users/
All messages sent to this list will be publicly archived and cannot be deleted
- [libreoffice-users] [OT] Operating Environment Survey · James E Lang
Impressum (Legal Info)
: Unless otherwise specified, all text and images
on this website are licensed under the
Creative Commons Attribution-Share Alike 3.0 License
This does not include the source code of LibreOffice, which is
licensed under the Mozilla Public License (MPLv2
"LibreOffice" and "The Document Foundation" are
registered trademarks of their corresponding registered owners or are
in actual use as trademarks in one or more countries. Their respective
logos and icons are also subject to international copyright laws. Use
thereof is explained in our trademark policy