Ahhh, Tom ... if I could break it apart, I would.

The problem is that there seems to be no documentation covering this
facility/subject/whatever. The result is that I'm chasing my tail and can't
figure out which are separate pieces and which are simply the same thing in
another guise. Or how they're inter-related.

I suspect that, buried in the message I wrote, is an actual bug, but it's
ephemeral enough that I can't figure out which is the salient symptom and
what other aspects are merely red herrings. So I thought if this got into
the hands of someone who actually knew how all this "hung together" I'd
better include enough detail to suggest that I did make every attempt (well,
everyone that I could think of) to figure out what was going on.

I have, in the past, presented a few separate ("broken apart"?) pieces, but
the responses (in the few cases where there were any) were always along the
line of "try setting this or that," which of course didn't seem to "fix"
anything, but simply altered the symptoms. Font substitution is of course
well understood, as is language selection, and so forth. The problem
(whether it's my problem or LO's) seems to be in how they all tie together:
thus, my effort to throw in everything I could think of.

I realize that makes reading it in one swell foop (as some say) rather
tedious, but my reasoning is that if someone wrote all the code for this
stuff, someone somewhere therefore likely understands what's going on. If,
on the other hand, multiple people wrote the different pieces without
realizing how they all interact, there may be some internal inconsistencies
that need to be sorted out. So, rather than a "bug" per se, there may be
some overall architectural issue that needs attention.

So much improvement has been made over the past two decades to improve the
ability to simultaneous use multiple languages, scripts, fonts, and so forth
in the same document, that perhaps it's time to figure out just where things
stand to see if LO is keeping up. That's sort of what I'm attempting to do -
so eventually it isn't necessary to jump through all the hoops currently
required unless one is attempting to do something really off-the-wall.

BUT: thanks for reading and passing the message to those who are likely more
in tune with what I'm asking. I had also thought of copying it to the Thai
forum (since that's the example I'm using), but apparently, no one but me
has visited that forum in several years, so I didn't bother.

Have a great day ...

Frank