Hi everbody,

although I am not an data IT person, I've been a long time user of
openoffice/libreoffice. I'll allways wanted to use LO as an official front end
for an database; first of all because I do not know how to program html (even
with all those facilities we have today) and also I don't want to start now
learning how to program in an script language. So I always hoped to find an
GUI front end for an database, that would feel very similar to FileMaker
(Mac/win). Well those that claim, that base is already very similar probably
never used FileMaker intensly. Even Kexi which is also claimed to be as good
as FileMaker is mile away from it. Don't take me wrong here I don't want to
make any apology to this program, but they really got it quite right.

Even though still thing that LO and similar are the way to go. But I think for
sometime its being a unstable GUI crashing once and a while. After lefting it
to rest for some time, last week, I took courage to restart an small project I
wanted to move from an Calc tables to an real DB. I started using Kexi and
tested again if LO Base would connect to the MariaDB with the native mysql
driver it went flawlessly. One improvement I immediately saw (or at least as
far as I remember), was the hability to see tables not generated by LO and
read/write data as well. The last time I used base, if I remember well, base
could only read tables from an DB if it generated the tables.

But other simple things like changing the order of fields (with MariaDB as
backend) do not work in LO but in Kexi it works. It seems also that crashing
event were eliminated or reduced to a minimum. I don't want to compare GUI and
list advantages or disadvantages, I just want to point out that although big
leaps happened since I last tried to use base, what makes me very happy. On
the downside, to become an great and easy to use GUI for developing grahical
DB interfaces, if comparing with FileMaker, there is still along way to go. I
tell this because I've used FileMaker for a while. I've learned to use it in
quite a short time (~ 3-4 month) and did fairly complex reports, queries, etc
in graphic mode.  I can not say the samething for SQL likes. Probably my
problem.

But I belive that base is the right way to go, because it is an multiplataform
program that links to several diferent DB programs and is open, I think two
key conditions for the success of an software, as Fernand Vanrie mentioned.
More up to date literature and how-to's would be a nice help and also an
harder development unfortunately this last one I can not help due to my
limitations.

Greetings