What you're describing sort of sounds like the feature that prevent
computing formula if the file originate from another office suite if it
could cause issues, but that's probably not it as it should not prevent you
from typing new formula.

Could you upload such problematic file somewhere so we can look at it?

--
Cley Faye
http://cleyfaye.net

Brian. Thanks
Gee I wish it was that simple.
I reduced the font size from 10 to 6 changed the font style and increased
the column with to the rest of the page. While I do not get ### any longer,
I now see the formula =SUM(A1:A2). What is also interesting is on the
format cells menu, in the box on the lower right I see the correct result.
I am doing this on a blank sheet with single digits like adding 1 and 2 to
get the result of 3. I feel pretty dumb in not getting the result.
Thanks
Dave

On Feb 19, 2015, at 10:44 AM, Paul D. Mirowsky <p_mirowsky@bentaxna.com>