Hi :)
Ok, you are not being a moron.  I wasn't trying to be funny of anything.
The software is doing exactly the right thing and even has a little pop-up
that people have to choose which way the existing cells have to go.  So it
really shouldn't be a problem at all.

However people often create spreadsheets to do things that would probably
be best done in some other program.

A classic is to have a long list of numbers, and then those numbers
repeated but split out across a table into different columns.  Sometimes
this is done using equations and codes but usually that just confuses the
sorts of people who end-up typing the numbers in.  Then each column is
totalled-up and the total of the columns 'should' match the total of the
long column, of course.

This type of Cash-book approach shows the total spent on each budget
heading and then also the total amount for the period.  Ideally it would be
done in GnuCash, Sage Instant/Line50, Quickbooks or some-such.  However
those are quite expensive (except GnuCash which is free and therefore
usually assumed to be not-as-good) and then there are expensive training
programs on how to use the expensive ones.  So it's a lot cheaper for
people (and easier for them to understand)  to just start typing numbers
into a spreadsheet and then kinda muddle along from there.

This only sometimes leads to problems, such as the sum of the whole list
not being the same as the total of the budget headings or not matching cash
in the bank (after eliminating expected payments and expected income that
either isn't quite on the bank statement or hasn't been typed into the
cash-book yet).  However when a problem DOES happen it's usually quite
tricky to find out where things went wrong because everything still looks
quite neat in a print-out even if the figures typed in were horribly wrong
(we all make tpyos right?).

So the problem is that when people insert a few cells they might well not
realise that they are also moving cells that are part of some calculation
either at the bottom of the sheet or elsewhere - and they might not be
thinking about that because they are trying to juggle too many other points
at the same time (such as is this zero-rated for tax or exempt or at a
different level and does some of the payment have to go in one cell but a
bit more of it appear in other columns and does this fit this column/budget
heading or that one?)

So, yes it's a user-problem, a classic pebcak but it can often be a
reasonable error.
Regards from
Tom :)