On 02/09/2015 01:44 PM, Thisis theone wrote:
Hello,

if we open up an example MS excel file, the macros and functions are not
100% working in LibreOffice.

When will LibreOffice have 100% MS macro and function support?

Or this is something that it's not worth it to do in LibreOffice?

IMHO if LibreOffice would have 100% MS compability for macros and functions
too, then... nothing would stand against LibreOffice to conquer the Office
world.

Thanks.

Although I agree that this would be great, it is not possible. Things are hampered in that LO supported things that MSO does not, and MSO supports things that LO does not. The moment you have an MSO macro that exploits a capability not supported by LO, things fail.; for example, the difference between a character highlight and a character background. How do you attempt to map this for 100% compatibility if it is not supported in LO. Sure, I am picking at nits here, but, I think that the most important take away in this regard is that even if we do a really good job, if we happen to miss that one thing that you need...

Even if we were only looking to say hit 80% compatible by emulating the objects and behavior in that way (and I suspect that it may not even be possible given how some of the VBA macros function), that still leaves 20% of the stuff that might fail. And then, if your macro uses .NET libraries and things not available on non Windows platforms, those will not work unless the entire .NET stuff is supported.

Off hand, I would say that this is a low priority for the majority of the users (in other words, there exist things that the majority would put as a higher priority such as improved OOXML support).

Understand that this is a really hard task, which would require significant investment in time and money. The end result would still not provide 100% compatibility.

So, I don't really expect it.

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php