Hi,I've been having some trouble lately using in Writer especially when using alternative keyboard
mappings (Windows 7). Yesterday, for example, I was using a mapping that was basically English but
which included macron vowels (that's vowels with a bar over the top, used, e.g., to indicate a long
vowel in works of reference for Latin). I found that the assigned key combination - in this case,
AltGr+vowel - was giving me a vowel with something like an acute accent over it instead of a bar -
though the key combination was working OK in other applications, e.g. WordPad and even the humble
NotePad.It did start to work, however; but in order to get it to do so, I had to set the keyboard
in the language bar whilst the LO document was active. Is this the expected behaviour? Should LO
override the locale settings in cases like this? (wondering).
Again, whilst using the polytonic Greek keyboard, I have noticed that from time to time the key
combinations required to obtain some of the special characters "stop working" - that is, the key
presses appear to be detected, but they stop having the desired effect. An example: to obtain an
alpha with a rough breathing, acute accent and iota subscript, I would have to first press the
combination <altGr + shift + '/'>, release those keys, and then press 'a' (for alpha). It's the
<altGr + shift> combination that stops working here; when I press 'a' I get an alpha alright, but
without the special diacritics (I think that's the right word).Using a combination without <shift>
and/or <altGr> still works; e.g. I can press (and release) '/' and then press 'a' and get an alpha
with smooth breathing and acute, which is the expected behaviour.
I've no idea why this sometimes goes awry; the focus does not leave the document in question, and I
haven't noticed a consistent combination of keystrokes/actions preceding the cessation of
functionality. Similarly, I haven't found a consistent way to restore it - I can generally do so,
eventually, but it seems to require different steps each time; such steps might include changing
the keyboard from polytonic Greek to English and back again, using the language button on the
desktop toolbar and/or using my assigned key combinations (in case these are significant, I use
<ctrl + alt + 1> to change to the polytonic Greek and <ctrl + alt + 0> to change to the English
layout; <Left Alt + Shift> changes between languages (default)); clicking an empty area of the
desktop to lose the focus from Writer; giving the focus to a different document; and so on.
Any idea what I might be doing to cause LO Writer to go awry (prevention is better than cure)? Or
the reason why it might be going wrong? Or if there is, in fact, a consistent way to restore it
(but I just haven't found it yet)?
Any helpful info gratefully received!
/Gary