Hi :)
Good point!  Is there some "IT into Schools" scheme?

Some areas have computer shops that sell 2nd hand machines or
refurbished ones but for a school kid i think you kinda have to go for
something new with a bit of a "wow" factor otherwise kids kinda get
picked on.

I'm not much good at picking hardware but the Asus Transformer T100
looks nice.  Notebook is about the right size as anything smaller
(such as a Netbook) tends to be tooo slow with Windows on.  Notebook
is large enough that you might even be able to set-up a dual-boot with
Ubuntu or something in the future.  A quick google search seems to
suggest £200 - £300 which seems about as cheap as you can get anything
worth getting, with Windows on.  Windows 8 is radically different from
Win7/Xp.  Definitely avoid Vista!  It looks a lot like Win7/Xp but
it's already being retired.  Win8 is the new way forwards so even
though it's a pain it's something Windows users are going to have to
learn.

The "wow" factor of being able to transform from notebook (nice
keyboard action) to tablet (good for multimedia and just viewing
things).  I have heard that these sort of hybrid/transformer types are
sometimes tricky when being used as a tablet because it's too easy to
get stuck into something that needs really kinda needs a keyboard but
i'm guessing that was because the reviewers don't have kid's sized
fingers and they kinda fat-fingered some of the smaller controls.

Of course you can still have LibreOffice or OpenOffice on it (or both
but that would be excessive!) alongside MS Office.  I think a LOT of
people do that.  It's often because they have some old version of MS
Office and are looking to migrate away from MS.  However each is
better at handling different formats so having both means you can open
pretty much anything even if the other kids struggle to share stuff.

When you get MS Office you need to check that whichever bundle you get
does include Access.  That sounds obvious but most "academic" or
student bundles don't have Access and that's one of the reasons it's
so much cheaper.  Remember the aim of MS is to make a profit from
people and to make them feel like it's all their own fault when they
do something wrong.  So if you do get the wrong bundle it is because
the whole bundle system is designed to be confusing.

If you do end-up with an MS Office that doesn't have Access you can
probably buy Access on it's own.  Hmmm, maybe you could just get
Access on it's own without the rest of MS Office and then get
LibreOffice.  Again i think the other kids might think that is too
weird.

Regards from
Tom :)