On 01/01/2015 02:16 PM, Luuk wrote:
On 1-1-2015 18:51, Andrew Douglas Pitonyak wrote:

I am updating some of my documentation on using BASIC with LO and I
wondered if case-sensitive comparisons are done with locale specific
information. I am in the US with ENGLISH locale, and I am not certain
how easily I can test this sort of thing, but I expect that a simple
compare such as

Sub StrCompTest
   Print StrComp("ı", "I", 0)  ' compare Turkish dotless i with upper
case i
   Print StrComp("i", "I", 0)  ' compare lower case i to upper case i
End Sub

In my locale, this returns -1 and 0. With a Turkish locale, I expect
that the first compare will return a 0, but I am unsure how to test
this. Any insights into this?

I'm not an expert in this, but this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dotted_and_dotless_I

Shows there is a small, and a capital version of the 'Turkish dotless i'

StrComp("i","I",0) only returns 0 for the small, and the capital i,
and not for the i's with diacritics   (í,ì,ï, ....)

I think the 'Turkish dotless i' should be treated as an i with a diacritic.

The code contains the Turkish dotless i, but it fails (as it should) on my computer. I am hesitant (perhaps lazy) to mess with my computer's locale since I don't have a good handle on the implications of changing it or whether or not I just need to change it in an LO configuration somewhere. I also don't want to try installing a Turkish version of things since I would not be able to read anything. Hopefully someone who is sufficiently familiar with these issues (say because they are turkish or are simply aware of other examples that will fail in my locale and work in theirs) can speak up. I do appreciate the wiki link, and it does confirm that this should work if my locale were Turkish and if LO deals with it correctly.

Andrew

--
Andrew Pitonyak
Info:  http://www.pitonyak.org/oo.php