On 11/27/2015 06:11 AM, Brian Barker wrote:

It's Boolean expression, giving the result TRUE or FALSE. It's testing the individual cells in the range A1:C2 to determine whether they are equal to the maximum value of that range. It may seem strange to be able to write such an expression for an entire range instead of for individual cells, but that is the power of array formulae.

Brian Barker

I see. I entered =(A1:C2 = MAX(A1:C2)) in a separate cell and it generated a 2x3 true/false table corresponding to the one I created. The bottom right cell returned TRUE because it corresponds to 6, the highest value in my original table.

=ROW(A1:C2) generates a one column table with numbered rows.

Now, the whole first argument of the ADDRESS function is =(MAX((A1:C2=MAX(A1:C2))*ROW(A1:C2))), which looks like "multiplying" a table by another table. What does it really mean? does it kind of superimpose the two tables and return the highest value? does it multiply the highest value from table 1 with the highest from table 2? or what does it exactly do?