On 2015-10-21 13:08, Virgil Arrington wrote:

On 10/20/2015 02:42 PM, Steve Edmonds wrote:
When I look at Outline Numbering it sets the paragraph style for each outline level but there are no position and spacing or number and character style set. These are all set in the paragraph and numbering styles.

I've found just the opposite in my outlining. I use Tools > Outline Numbering > Position to establish the numbering, character style, position, and spacing of the numbering. I've never understood what the preset Numbering styles are for as they never seem to apply any numbering for me.

How does Tools > Outline Numbering do more than assign a paragraph style to an outline level, do the settings in Tools > Outline Numbering over ride the styles or vis versa.

I've used the paragraph styles to establish such items as line spacing and paragraph spacing. Beyond that, I format everything else in Tools > Outline Numbering.

But, now I'm beginning to wonder if I'm doing it all wrong, especially after my ill advised attempt to create a ten level outline hierarchy that included both heading and normal text outlines. (They don't work.)
They do the way I've done it, it was a challenge to get rid of the un-numbered normal text outlines. Let me know if you still need to know how. At the time of your question I didn't realise that is what I had done.

After perusing the bugzilla about numbering complaints, I'm coming to the conclusion that there are several respects in which LO's (and AOO's) numbering system could be better.

So, I'll join you in ignorance.

Virgil

Any help to clear the fog much appreciated.
Steve