I think I was too easily persuaded on this matter. As I think about it further, I think LO is treating the outline numbering wrongly. I've compared LO with LaTeX and LaTeX treats the heading numbering differently.

Let's keep it simple for my illustration. In LO, let's say I have three heading styles (Heading 1, Heading 2, and Heading 3). If I put them in order, I get (properly):

1. Heading 1
1.1 Heading 2
1.1.1 Heading 3

This corresponds to LaTeX's Section, Subsection, and Subsubsection environments, which appear as follows (again properly):

1. Section
1.1 Subsection
1.1.1 Subsubsection

But, if I switch the second and third headings, LO and LaTeX provide different results. In LO, I get

1. Heading 1
1.1.1 Heading 3
1.2 Heading 2

but, with LaTeX, I get,

1. Section
1.0.1 Subsubsection
1.1 Subsection

I think LaTeX's treatment is mathematically more correct. Until I actual use the second heading, it's value should remain "0", which is reflected in LaTeX's second example. But, LO gives it a value of "1" even though I've not yet used it. Thus, in LO, my first use of the second Heading is given a value of "2" as in 1.2, whereas in LaTeX, my first use of the second heading is given a value of 1 as in 1.1.

I think LaTeX has it right.

I tried changing the starting value of Heading 2 to "0", but that messes things up when I use the levels in order, so that's not the solution.

Funny thing is that I've just noticed this behavior. I don't recall seeing this happen in earlier versions of LO. I'm currently using 4.4.5.2.

In fact, I just loaded two LO documents, one an old one where the numbering acts like LaTeX, and a newer one, where the numbering acts like the current LO. My outline numbering settings are the same and my styles are similar (with different names). For the life of me I can find no setting between the two documents that is different that could explain the different style of outline numbering. I'll keep looking, but for now, it's just weird.

I've noticed other strange behavior with LO's outline numbering. Sometimes, the "Position" settings are in terms of the "width of the numbering." At other times, it is in terms of what is placed after the number, a space, tab, or nothing.

curiouser and curiouser.

Virgil