Am 19.07.2015 um 06:33 schrieb Peter Goggin:

 For my current needs I have found Libre Base more than adequate.

Indeed, I have no important office document that is not connected to
some type of database -- one way or the other, dBase, HSQL server, csv,
spreadsheet or H2 SQL.
My users are very happy with my data sources but whenever they need
something different or something new, they have to contact me.

Common misconceptions:
Base is a development tool. It is not for end users. The result of your
work should be aimed at end users.
As soon as you create your first database table, you develop your own
data structure, a user-defined storage format so to say where data types
play the most important role. Most office users can not even comprehend
the difference between text and values in a spreadsheet. Relations and
indices are further refinements of your data structure. Proper database
design requires some knowledge beforehand. Learning by doing is not an
option here.
The database has nothing to do with Base. HSQL, MySQL, Calc or your
Microsoft ADO driver work independently. First of all, you work with
these programs while developing with Base.
Base provides forms for the aledged end user to fill your predefined
data structures. The input form transfers meaningful information into
data which are stored in your structures. Form design is development
work as well. It requires that you fully understand the underlying data
structures and how to utilize the limited set of (sub-)forms and their
form controls. Form design is also the place where most of the macro
development takes place (if any).
Queries turn meaningless data into meaningful information. Reports dump
information to printable office documents.

End users load forms to type information into the right places of your
structure and they load reports, form letters, spreadsheets to fetch
some of the stored data as meaningful information.
All the questionable "helpers" that were implemented back in 2005
(OpenOffice.org 2.0) have not much improved since then and they are
mostly obsolete. Any person with the mind set of a developer is better
off without them.
Nevertheless, we have to recognize that >90% of all Base documents out
there link spreadsheets to form letters. In this very limited context,
the existing primitive query designer adds some extra value for those
who never wrote a single SQL statement.