Kolbjørn Stuestøl wrote:
Den 30.06.2015 22:33, libreoffice-ml.mbourne@spamgourmet.com skreiv:
Personally, I disable using the replacement table because it gets in
the way when I don't want the replacement to happen, e.g. when
entering dates:
- 1/1 gives 1st January of the current year, as expected
- 2/1 gives 2nd January of the current year (I'm in the UK)
- 3/1 gives 3rd January of the current year
- 31/1 gives 31st January of the current year
But:
- 1/2 gives ½, not 1st February
- 1/4 gives ¼, not 1st April
- 3/4 gives ¾, not 3rd April

Mark, I think you know it but perhaps others don't: If you write 1/2 and
it is changed to ½ press Ctrl + Z immediately  and the ½ changes back to
1/2.

Unfortunately, that doesn't work quite so well in Calc as it does in Writer. If I type 1/2 and move to another cell (enter, tab or click), it changes to ½. Undo clears the cell, rather than reverting to 1/2.

The easiest workaround I've found is to type 1/2, then Ctrl+A (select all), then move to another cell. For some reason, that seems to prevent the replacement from happening.

With the replacements enabled it always used to catch me out first time and then I'd have to go back and change it (and try to remember that selecting the cell content before moving cell is what I need to do to stop it replacing). Far easier to just disable the replacements. If I want a "½" character I can easily insert one, but I more often want the "1/2" (=1st February in date or general cells) that I typed in the first place.

Actually, I have replacements (and most of the other AutoCorrect options) disabled in Writer as well, so what I type is what I get. I can see how it's helpful for some people, but for me AutoCorrect too often "corrects" something I wanted as I typed it, and I don't always notice immediately. I just prefer to do my own thinking rather than have the software do the thinking for me; the spell checker is welcome to advise, but at least it doesn't change things without asking. Guess I'm just a control freak ;o)

Mark.