Virgil Arrington wrote:
I've used LO and its predecessors for about 15 years now. I recently
noticed that the dialog boxes for outline numbering have changed. In the
past, under the "position" tab for outline numbering, the numbering
position was determined by settings such as "width of numbering" and
"minimum space to text." Now the numbering position is determined by
settings such as "numbering followed by" and "aligned at." This newer
dialog seems to follow the practice of MS Word and will, I think,
increase compatibility of LO .doc files.

But, now I have a mishmash in my documents. Older documents have the
older dialog boxes and newer documents have the newer, even though I
load them into the same instance of LO. I'd like to get all my documents
working the same, but I've seen no way of changing the outline numbering
in old documents to match the newer dialogs. I've played with some of
the "compatibility" settings under "tools/options," but I've found
nothing that seems to have any effect.

Once a document has been created with outline numbering, is there a way
to make LO change the way it establishes the position of the numbering
(i.e., with "numbering followed by" a tab, rather than "width of
numbering.") It seems to be an either/or with LO, and I can't figure out
how it decides which dialog option to give me.

Virgil

Are all the documents (old and new) in ODF Text (.odt) format? Or are the older ones in Word (.doc) or OpenOffice 1.0 (.sxw) format? I'm wondering if the options shown depend on the format of the document.

Perhaps try opening one of the older documents and use File > Save As... to give it a new name, ensuring ODF Text Document is selected for the file type. Then close, and open the newly saved document. Does it now have the new options?

May be worth trying even if the original document is ODF, since it might be an older version of ODF. I'm not sure though whether using save as would save the new file in the same ODF version as the original or whether the new version would be converted to ODF 1.2.

If there's nothing confidential in them, are you able to post examples of an older and a newer document, showing each set of options? I'm not likely to have much time to look into them myself for a few weeks, but perhaps others might spot some difference.

Mark.