       You're not alone -
           I too have not figured out the page numbering system;
          [I gave up when templates were mentioned]

       But there are simple solutions although not necessarily efficient;
          either (1) wait until the paper is finished then insert manually;
               or (2) insert manually as you write - in this method you'll
have to redo the numbering at times  ;-)

       or (3) skip the numbering  ;-)

       If anyone actually knows the solution to this problem, I sure wish
he'd respond on-list for all to see -
          and in simple language, please.