Hi :)
It's a good idea.  It's already done.  Previous versions of a branch are
hidden away in the archives.

Of course some people still need them when something is broken in a newer
release but only IF that proves to be a blocker for them.

The platform is mentioned in the download name, in much the way you
describe.  When i go to the download page it tries to give me
"xx_Linux_deb_xx" when i ask it to give me the Windows version the name
changes to "xx_Win_xx".  So it's a good idea and one that is already done.
Regards from
Tom :)