Hi :)
Many thanks to Walther Koehler-4 and Paul-6! :))  Peter Goggin has been able
to do the transfer.  So i have copied all the answers in below to try to
help make this easier to solve next time.
Many thanks and regards to all! :)
Regards from
Tom :)

Peter Goggin wrote
I finally solved how to transfer the data from Access to Base. The steps
are very simple and work well. During the creation stage I did not
realize that while the Create button was available there was a Next
stage also available where the data types of the newly crated table
fields can be modified. (May be the Create button should not be
available until the data types have been checked) Setting the date
fields to date and the other fields to correct types solved the
problems. Since my "ACCESS" data base allows me to fully check the forms
documentation I will continue using this in parallel with the proper
sample data bases.

Regards

Peter Goggin

Walther Koehler-4 wrote
Hi,

export tables from MSACCESS as dbase  files in a proprietary directory.
Connect to that directory from LO-base.

Yours

Walther
<snip />

Paul-6 wrote
I've got some experience with various databases, but little with
Access, sorry.

Given the OP exported the data from Access once, I'd assume that it's
possible to export to csv format instead of Excel spreadsheets, and I'd
recommend that. Then importing into Base should be straightforward, and
formatting shouldn't be lost. Access might even give some options for
the export formats, but worst case the data can be massaged in Calc
before importing into Base, say to change the date format.

If the OP is still having trouble with this, he can try posting a
couple of lines of the exported csv file, and we can see if there is a
reason Base is not importing it correctly.

This does sound like it should be possible with the method he is using,
but it's much harder for me to debug. If he's using plain csv files,
just posting a couple of lines would give me an idea of how the data
looks, and I could test on my machine, which does have Base, but not
Access.

And if he wants to go to MySQL/MariaDB/PostgreSQL, again using csv
files should be pretty straightforward, even if it does mean command
line and queries, and not a GUI interface. Although those exist, I'm
just not as familiar with them.

Paul

<snip />