John R. Sowden wrote:
On 09/17/2014 11:27 AM, Mark Bourne wrote:
John R. Sowden wrote:
I have been using LO from the 'beginning'.  I have never be able to get
the menu command 'Find' to work.  Just to be sure I just tried again.
The Edit->Find Selection has the three dots after it, telling me that a
dialog box/menu will open.  Nothing happens, anywhere on the screen.

The basic "Find" is just a toolbar (usually at the bottom of the screen,
but you can move it as with any other toolbar). It has a text box to
enter the text to search for and a button to open the Find & Replace
dialog. If the toolbar is already there, you may not notice much change
on screen, but the cursor should move into the text box where you can
enter a search query. Is that happening?

When I press Ctrl F, the left margin moves, but do find prompt opens.

I'm not sure what margin you're referring to? This is in Calc, as per
the email subject, not Writer, right?

Does is say "Ctrl+F" next to the Find... option on the menu? It may be
that Ctrl+F is currently mapped to a different function. Check Tools >
Customise > Keyboard and make sure Ctrl+F is mapped to Find when
"LibreOffice" is selected to the right of the list, and nothing else
when the individual application is selected (Calc, Writer, etc.
depending what you're using at the time).

When I enter edit->'Find & Replace ...' then Find and replace box opens
and I use it.  When I press Ctrl H (For Find & Replace), nothing
happens.

Again, check that it does say "Ctrl+H" next to the menu option, and
check the keyboard shortcuts as above.

Oh yes: LO Version 4.1.3.2 and others back to the beginning, and ubuntu
various versions-currently 13.10, but I have been using ubuntu since
about 6 months after the big CD givaway.

John

Mark.

OK, here goes:
1) I am in CALC,  When I press Ctrl F, the collum with the row numbers
moves to the rights about 3/4" anlong with the whole SS (margin was not
a good descriptor).

Ah... it seems that it's possible to move the Find toolbar to the left edge of the window, which has that effect as the spreadsheet content moves to make space for it when you press Ctrl+F. But it's not particularly useful in that position, since there's no space for the text box to actually enter what you want to search for! Try dragging the grab handle on that toolbar and moving it somewhere else - either floating or docked at the bottom or top.

2) I am familiar with the Find text box, used in other apps.  That is
what I have looked for-not found.

I thought that was probably the case, but figured it worth checking before looking for more complicated things.

3) When I select the edit->find menu item, the cursor disappears.  I
tested this by placing the cursor in the edit box, where it flashes.
When I select find, it disappears.  When I select a cell, there is no
cursor flashing, so when I select the find option, nothing changes.

That also seems consistent with the Find toolbar docked at the left edge of the window. The cursor moves into the Find text box, but that's not visible (although it does actually still seem to work - you can type something and press enter, and Calc will search for it; you just can't see what you're doing).

4) Yes, the Find option in the menu shows Ctrl+F as a shortcut.
5) For 'find and replace' the shortcut shows ctrl+H.

OK, so those sound OK.

I have not remapped any keys, as I rarely use the shortcut keys, as I
don't want to loose my memory for the WordStar keys used in Wordstar and
Borland Pascal.

If you still can't find the toolbar, it may be worth resetting your LibreOffice user profile. This will clear any user settings (hopefully including whatever has happened to the Find toolbar), as well as any added dictionary words, custom colours, etc. so it's a good idea to back up your existing profile first. See https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/UserProfile ("Resolving corruption in the user profile" section) for instructions.

If that fixes the problem, the easiest is probably to keep that new profile and redo or copy any settings you need from the old profile. It may be possible to compare the two, work out what made the difference to Find, and reset just that part of the old profile, but that's more tricky (if you try it, make a copy of the old profile first, so at worst you can always get back to the current situation).

If resetting the user profile doesn't help, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, but post back here and someone else may be able to suggest something.

Mark.