Alex Thurgood wrote:
My experience on several occasions has unfortunately been that the
Default style in Writer has hard formatting characteristics which cause
application of Heading 3 not to work correctly, and it seems hard to be
able to ascribe any particular sequence of actions to make it
reproducible. I am not a styles expert by any means, but one would
expect the default styles to "work as designed".

Not sure if it's related, but I noticed a week or so ago that there seems to be something slightly odd in the font sizes for the default heading style definitions...

- Heading : size = 14 pt
  - Heading 1 : size = 130% (relative to parent style Heading)
  - Heading 2 : size = 115% (relative to parent style Heading)
  - Heading 3 : size = 14pt (fixed)
  - Heading 4 : size = 95%  (relative to parent style Heading)

So changing the size for the Heading style also flows through to the other Heading X styles proportionately - except Heading 3 which is fixed at 14pt. I think the intention is for that to be 100% relative to the parent style.

I've also found that attempting to explicitly set a style to 100% font size actually has the effect of fixing it at the parent style's current value at the time this setting is applied, rather than inheriting the value from the parent. So that is possibly what someone has done in defining the default Heading 3 style.

This is in 4.3.0. Will check in 4.3.1 and search for / report a bug when I get a tuit of the circular variety...

Mark.