Hi :)
Can you move the file into a new sub-folder such as "OldVersions-Backups"
and then use "Save As.." to create a new copy in the main folder.

I found a neat work-flow for editing my html files in GEdit in Gnu&Linux
(but that doesn't work in Windows) is to
1.  open the document
2.  in the file-browser rename the file to add a version number (such as
reverse date)
3.  re-save the document, make some edits and re-save again.

4.  Every once in a while i move all the prior versions into the sub-folder
and maybe delete some.

Also i sometimes find that when other people have opened a file the
lock-file is often left behind even if they close the file properly.  So in
the same folder as the file is there a hidden file with almost the same
name but that has something like "~lockfile" added to the name?  Deleting
that make the proper file behave normally again.
Regards from
Tom :)