At 09:41 22/08/2014 -0500, Gregory Smith wrote:
I have created a one-dimensional array called CATEGORY. When I do this function: =Index(Category,25,0) I get the contents of that index - let's say it is the word "cats". When I do this function =if((index(category,25,0)="cats"),1,0) I get FALSE?! Anyone have any ideas what I am doing wrong?

As has already been suggested, the most likely problem is that the two strings do not exactly match, with one perhaps including one or more blanks. You'd notice a stray blank in the second formula, but you might not notice it in the result of the first.

There are some other things you might want to note about your second formula, in fact - although they will *not* be the cause of your present problem.

o You do not need to parenthesise the logical expression, so
=IF((INDEX(Category,25,0)="cats"),1,0)
simplifies to
=IF(INDEX(Category,25,0)="cats",1,0)

o You say you get FALSE as the result, which implies that your result cell(s) must be formatted as Boolean Value. The second and third parameters in your expression are simply TRUE and FALSE expressed as numbers, and since these are the obvious default values of optional parameters, they can be omitted:
=IF(INDEX(Category,25,0)="cats")

o In any case, what you apparently want is simply the value of the logical expression that is the first parameter, so there is no need for the IF() function at all. Just use:
=INDEX(Category,25,0)="cats"

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker