Hi :)
The 1.6.0_31xx is the old branch of Java and has known issues "out in the
wild".

Oracle keep insisting that people upgrade to their newest version of Java
because all previous ones have been compromised.  Often they don't even
release some versions because each one gets compromised so quickly,
sometimes even before the newer one gets released!

In the US  their "Homeland Security" issued a warning;
https://www.us-cert.gov/ncas/alerts/TA13-010A
Oracle released another upgrade and claimed to have fixed the problem but
http://www.zdnet.com/homeland-security-warns-java-still-poses-risks-after-security-fix-7000009785/

https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/remove_olderversions.xml
http://www.theguardian.com/technology/askjack/2013/feb/08/java-remove-ask-jack-technology
http://threatpost.com/oracle-java-patch-update-pushes-2013-totals-past-last-year

OpenJDK is one response  to all this and works well for almost everything
that needs Java.
http://openjdk.java.net/
It is still owned by Oracle but it does seem to have a proper community in
addition to their regular programmers so it seems quite a lot more secure
and less vulnerable to problems.

Java has almost entirely been written out of LibreOffice but there are
still some things that depend on Java.  Accessibility stuff such as
screen-readers are in the process of moving away from Java en-masse.  Some
wizards and Extensions probably still use Java.

Oddly i still see a LOT of job adverts for programmers who can write Java.
I'm hoping that is to help companies migrate away or to re-write existing
java packages!

Regards from
Tom :)