MR ZenWiz wrote:
Now if I knew why the update got stuck running depmod for more than
ten minutes, I'd feel more comfortable.  Oh, well.

It's hard to say without knowing what was happening at the time.

I can only guess it took some time to identify and remove your oldest kernel and all of its unique dependencies (files that aren't shared by any other package) in order to free up space for the newest kernel and its dependencies, plus manipulate whatever configuration files needed changing to accommodate the new kernel, plus do any other ordinary package work performed when installing/removing any package. And on top of all that, do all the other activity the system was also doing at the time.

But this is clearly a system administration issue and not related to LibreOffice per se. If you wish to followup please don't be surprised if my address doesn't show up as a destination; I'm experimenting with headers to tell mail clients to only send followups to the list and not to me. I can read followups posted to the list on the list, I don't need another copy sent to me.