Thanks Jim.
That worked, although it didn't solve my problem with the QIF file

Keith
On Wed, 28 May 2014 08:00:37 AM Jim Seymour wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2014 21:32:17 +1000

Keith Bates <keith@new-life.org.au> wrote:
Hi,

I'm in unfamiliar territory, searching a QIF file for a single badly
formatted transaction. I've exported the original moneydance file to
a tab limited file with the thought of searching for a non-numeric
character in the transaction amount column.

The only problem is I can't work out the appropriate Reg. Exp to
search for characters that are not numeric or a "."

[snip]

You want to find everything that's *not* in a particular set, so...

    [^0-9\.]

That's anything that's not zero thru nine or a (literal) dot.

Depending upon the flavour of regexp support, that can also be written
[^[:digit:]\.] or [^\d\.], but the first one I gave works with any
flavour.

HTH

Regards,
Jim