On 5/21/2014 9:39 PM, Bruce Byfield wrote:

I wonder:

1. Is the number of pictures the problem? Or was there some way in which the
program was trying to do the impossible -- for instance, keeping a picture in
a position that was too small for it?

I know the picture would fit in the space I wanted it. However, my page position may have clashed with the anchor position (I was anchoring to a paragraph). But, when I wanted to move it to another page (by mouse dragging), it just wouldn't go. It kept bouncing back to the original position. And, if I dragged it across a footer, it suddenly got stuck there creating all kinds of problems.

I don't think it was about the number of pictures.

2. Could the anchor position have an effect?

I think, conceptually, that is a problem. You can anchor to page, paragraph, character, and "as character," whatever that means. Then, if your anchor is too close to the top or bottom of the page, then the graphic doesn't know where to go. The mere act of inserting the graphic *will* cause the anchoring site to move. And, if you preserve the position, it seems to preserve the position on the *page* without regard to where the anchor is. I had some pictures where the anchor was on the previous page as the picture. Then I found I could use the mouse to move *either* the graphics frame *or* the anchor site. I'm thinking there are just too many variables, at least for my limited brain.

3. What if the picture was placed inside a frame, and the frame size and
position protected?

Actually, that's what I was doing, albeit in a roundabout way. I have my pictures set to "Auto Caption." I've discovered that, when that happens, the picture frame is placed inside a separate frame that is slightly larger than the picture itself. Then the caption is placed in this larger frame. So, a captioned picture consists of *two* frames, one on top of the other. In fact, when I was preserving size and position, I had to do it to *both* the picture frame *and* the caption frame.

I'm going to see what results I get in answering these questions. I'll post my
results, probably by tomorrow evening.

I thought I would reload the document and try again. When I loaded the document, *all* of my pictures were out of position and distorted from top to bottom. When I tried to scroll the document, it crashed. It's now toast.

One other thought I had. I was using Linux Libertine G as my font. It has so many advanced typographic features that, in the past, I've had some stability issues with it, even in text files without graphics. But, those were addressed many versions ago, so I don't think it's the problem, but I just throw it out there as a possible contributing factor.

Good luck on sorting this out. Based on my experience, next time I need to insert graphics, I'll just use another program from the get-go and save myself hours of headaches. For me at least, it just ain't working with LO. Again, I won't discount the possibility of user error, but if that's the case, then I would suggest that perhaps this part of the program is so complex that user error is much too easy to achieve.

Virgil