Hi :)
+1
i agree that banning or booting is not as easy as it might seem.

I think that it's more difficult for a bully to be effective when
1.  the mailing list is supportive of individuals coming here and
2.  when the mailing list is clearly not of the same opinion as the bully

What doesn't help is when the mailing list gets bogged down in some
flame-war or has a big fight over the issues or when personal insults fly
to-and-fro.  When someone new sees insults flying in from both sides it's
difficult to see either side as (or any side) as being acceptable.

I'm not suggesting that we sweep this under the rug nor that we avoid the
issue nor pretend it doesn't exist.  It does exist and at the moment we are
lucky it is only 1 person.  Once MS starts to get seriously worried about
LO then history might repeat itself and we find ourselves swamped with many
more.  We already see that in the "Comments" sections under many articles,
in the press, about LibreOffice.

I'm not disagreeing with Tom or anyone else that has argued for banning and
other punitive measures.  On the contrary i think such measures could well
prove useful in many cases and might even work sometimes or at least
discourage such behaviour even if they are not always as effective as we
would hope for.  The more tools we have for dealing with this sort of
behaviour the better imo.
Regards from
Tom :)