Error correction: I referred to Apache below. Silly me. End of the week fatigue showing up.

I meant Adobe.

t.

On 05/02/2014 08:34 PM, Tom Cloyd wrote:
Urmas -

I am "supposed" to - WHAT? You in da wrong place man. You one lost dude.

I cannot recall the last time I did what I was "supposed" to do. That's simply alien thought. I do what I want to do. Period, which is why I'm here.

I will mercifully assume you are exercising your capacity for dry wit. I do that sometimes, and get myself into some interesting pickles.

But just for those few who might think you could be serious:

"Libre" - that means 'free to do what you choose'. Free TO choose. Free to complain, to work on solutions, to contribute what you can. Free to acquire a sense of ownership. Free to offer funding, when you can. Free to participate, and learn, and promote the best damned software you ever used to all who will listen you.

Man, that sure does NOT describe the relationship I had with Microsoft, Intuit, Apache, and a host of other folks who were giving me "da bidness" for years, by figuring out new and devious ways to build walled gardens and to force me to pay them every year for newly scrambled interfaces and file formats, and wretched documentation, etc.

A quick trip down memory lane:

* Internet Explorer 6 - featuring the box model from hell. Torturing web designers for well over a decade, with never even the suggestion of a fix - they didn't flippin' care. * Intuit Quicken - featuring mandatory updates, at a price, every year. You get to subscribe whether you want to or not. * Windows XP - the worst single piece of crap I even loaded onto my computer. It got better after about a decade of updates - 5 years after I stopped using it forever.

Does opensource software it always work. Hell no. But then neither do I, so I can only say so much about that. What it DOES do is offer me relentless improvement; the joy of an active, supportive community; documentation that is very often the best I've ever seen; and contact with folks I truly believe are the most dedicated and creative programmers I've ever seen.

"...made just for fun..." Yeah. Serious fun. The kind that is indistinguishable from the most meaningful work you can imagine. The kind that's a gift to the world. The kind of fun to which my life is dedicated.

Before I was a psychotherapist, I was a cultural anthropologist. Let me tell you a little about leadership in primitive society: Very often, leaders are poor. They give away what they have for the benefit of the people, which is why they get such respect, and become leaders. I am very happy, in the software world in which I participate, to be in the company of such leaders. Because I am "libre", I choose to be here. I would not choose to be anywhere else. You could not pay me to be anywhere else.

Tom