At 16:05 27/04/2014 -0700, James E. Lang wrote:
Mailing lists are a way to share comments with a group of people who share an interest in a particular topic. As such private replies _should_ be the exception rather than the rule.

It's true that some lists - perhaps most - are for discussion, but not all. The web site advertises this list thus: "The user support mailing list address is our main channel for LibreOffice users needing help with a problem". Users with problems do not necessarily want to engage in a discussion: they just want help. Nor do list members want to discuss, perhaps for the umpteenth time, such questions as why LibreOffice is not a clone of Microsoft Office.

Starting with this post, any message that I send to this mailing list via any of the three mail clients that I use will carry this header:

This will tell the mail clients from which replies are sent that this is the preferred address to which a reply should be sent. This is my way of getting around what I consider to be a wrong headed configuration of this mailing list.

Interestingly, the fact that you can do this defeats your point! The Reply-To: header, in the words of RFC 2822, "indicates the mailbox(es) to which the *author* of the message suggests that replies be sent" (my emphasis). The author of a message, of course, is you - not the list. The header is provided to give *you* this control - and by not interfering, this list preserves this facility for you as it should.

I ... will NOT participate in a flame war.

No incendiaries here!

Brian Barker