On 3/29/2014 6:50 AM, Kracked_P_P---webmaster wrote:

Would you share with "us" what is now being used for your default font, since you no longer use "Century 731 BT".

I have Century 725, 731, and 751 in my font collection, but I also do not use "Century" anymore. My default is "Liberation Serif".

The problem I was having with my default *character* style had to do with the fact that I had changed my template so many times over the years and incorporated so many different file types, that my character styles were hopelessly confused. However, my paragraph styles are in fine shape as far as fonts are concerned.

I'm *real* OCD when it comes to fonts, so I'm constantly changing my preferences. LO came with Liberation Serif as its default font it is default paragraph style. It appears to be a clone of Times New Roman, which I don't particularly like.

At any rate, the U.S. Supreme Court uses New Century Schoolbook, and so, when I prepare legal documents, I use a version of Century. My very old WordPerfect for Windows 7 came bundled with hundreds of excellent typefaces, including many variations of Century, and 731 was my favorite. I also like URW's Century Schoolbook, which I downloaded free from the web.

My home-built template now default to Consolas in my Default (paragraph) Style. I use this but for initial editing rather than final output. It's an excellent, fixed-width font for onscreen work. Then, for final output, I will change everything to something else. My current favorites are:

- Linux Libertine G (like Times but with much better proportions, as well as all those wonderful expert effects, such as true small caps, old-style numbers, even hanging punctuation),
- Iowan Old Style (another Bitstream font that came with WordPerfect),
- Palatino Linotype (an excellent all around typeface, if a bit overused),
- Vollkorn (a font I recently found on Google fonts, which has old-style numbering) - OFL Sorts Mill Goudy (a cool take on the classic, with old-style numbering) - Baskervald (a free remake of Baskerville). I'd have to say that Baskerville is my all-time favorite typeface in terms of overall beauty, but most versions of it print much too faintly on my printers. I think it really needs a three-dimensional printing press where the letters are pressed into the paper rather than painted onto the paper. Baskervald has the heft I need, but is not quite as beautiful as Baskerville itself.

I generally control my document fonts through my Default paragraph Style. All of my other styles are, eventually, linked to the Default. By modifying the Default Style, I can change the font throughout the document without having to select anything and keep everything. So, I can create and edit in Consolas, and then with a couple mouse clicks change the font throughout the document to my chosen final output. Unfortunately, LO uses separate character styles to control special aspects such as footnote characters and footnote anchors, so (at least up to now), if I want to change my document's global font, I have to change both my default *paragraph* style, as well as the font in my various *character* styles for the special characters. I'm working on setting things up so I don't have to repeat all this work.

That's probably way more than you needed to know, but I do love talking fonts.

Virgil