OK, to this and other recent posts, please note that my intent wasn't to open a rant-fest. I have found myself wondering about the claims about file structure being a problem even for MSO itself. My original post was intended to provide one example of a case where Excel saved a specific file but then couldn't re-open it without throwing a warning (unusual enough that some users might well panic about it). That plus a few other specific issues I've encountered that make me like LO/OO even more than I did before. While I've read about the issue of the OpenXML standard issues, I hadn't experienced it yet, nor have I read of specific cases where someone had that experience (and I don't mean second hand or less).

If anyone wants to add to this, may I humbly suggest you provide specific examples of issues _you've_ had (not that you've read or heard about). E.g., "I saved a file as CSV, and within 5 minutes tried to reopen it but Excel failed to do so. It gave me the following error:" That provides a specific situation that others can test. The more specific the better.

But to say the open XML standard changes so that Excel can't open it just doesn't translate to the general user, even if it IS true. Again, specific examples help.

Carl